Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Not All Omega 3 Supplements Are the Same

Someone approached me the other day for help in selecting an Essential Fatty Acid (EFA) supplement. They were overwhelmed by the selection available and had no idea which to choose. When looking at EFA's, I prefer fish oil supplements. They are the most efficient source of the Omega 3 fatty acids Eicosapentaenoic acid and Docosahexaenoic acid. (EPA and DHA for those of use who cannot read a bowl of alphabet soup.)

Turn the bottle around. Manufacturers can put almost anything in the name of their products. They have legions of people who critique the packaging and use focus groups for to ensure their bottle jumps off the shelf. They can not change what is in the bottle and have to provide a clear picture of it in the “Supplements Facts” on the back. The EFA should clearly tell you how much EPA and DHA you will receive per dose and how many doses are in the bottle. When I compare products, I try to determine how much is in each individual pill.

I try to take approximately 2000 mg of EPA and DHA combined per day. That is what seams to work best for me. This can come in as little as one teaspoon per day of a liquid or 2 to 3 pills of a quality supplement. In the liquid fish oils I prefer Ascenta Health'sNutraSea HP.  It has a daily dose in one teaspoon and has little taste of any kind. I admit peer pressure made me try it, as I cannot stand the fishy taste of the liquid fish oils on the market. I was stunned at the taste profile. No fish taste At All!

That said, liquids have a convenience draw back and may not be the best choice for all. Select the EFA that best suits your needs. Choose a quality product from a manufacturer the you trust and you will not be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment