Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Help for the Endurance Athlete

The sun is shining. The birds are chirping. The weather has finally broken, and you want to start exercising outside. I am approached daily by people who want to know what supplements I use to help me with my activities.

Over time I have developed a recipe for a hydration drink that has significantly improved my recovery and increased the speed I have added to my activities. I am a cyclist who now also runs, so hydration is critical.

I use a combination of carbs and aminos before, during, and after my activities. Here is a breakdown of what and when:

Before (usually 30 minutes)
20 ounces of water with:
3 grams of AAKG  for vassal dialation
20 to 40 grams of carbohydrates (like using Cytomax  but any sports drink will do)
5 grams of L-glutamine to help buffer the upcoming lactic acid buildup 

During (drinking every 15 to 20 minutes)
Water with:
5 grams of BCAAs to help protect muscle tissue
5 grams of L-glutamine (still buffering the lactic acid)
Sports drink to supply carbs and electrolytes

After (ideally within 15 minutes of your activity)
A protein drink with some isolate protein 
5 grams of creatine monohydrate

Later that day, I try to consume at least another 10 grams of L-glutamine for muscle tissue repair.

Have fun with your activity, but remember to stay hydrated and be safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment