Thursday, April 14, 2011

Gesundheit! Welcome to Allergy Season

With the end of winter, finally, and the start of spring comes the joy of allergies to many of us. Hay fever and similar allergies affect up to 20% of us. It is the bodies over-reaction to the pollen, dust, and molds in the air. Symptoms include itchy, watery eyes, a runny nose, and sneezing. The escape from allergy symptoms has become a billion dollar industry.

In the past, I used to look at the warm weather with dread. Many of my favorite past-times are outdoor activities, and the enjoyment of them was always tempered with the irritation of allergies. I have over the last four years found an effective, safe, side-effect free escape.

First, I use a nasal wash daily. Kinda makes sense. We wash our hands to keep the germs away, so why not our sinuses? There are a number of ways to accomplish this wash, from neti pots to nasal mists. I use Xlear nasal spray once or twice a day, depending on the pollen count.

That has kept my symptoms under control for the most part. I have on occasion found myself at the beginning of an allergy attack in the middle of the day. For convenience I also carry a mint and menthol inhaler which I breathe through to open my sinuses right away. 

These two inexpensive remedies have allowed me to enjoy warm weather alert and allergy free.

No comments:

Post a Comment