Monday, January 2, 2012

What Does Normal Mean?


The other day I was talking with a guy about a recent trip to the doctor. He was skeptical about supplements, but his doctor suggested he try something. He was telling me about his conversation with the nurse. She had asked him if he got up during the night for a bathroom run. Being a man of a certain age, he said once or twice a night, just like every other man in his 40's. He then gave me the old “nudge, nudge, wink, wink”. In his mind, having BHP was not only inevitable, it was fine. He was sure that since Western medicine has ignored this issue, there must not be anything that can be done.

I am over 40. The only time I wake up is when my dog wants out. No, those intersleep potty breaks are not fine. Why would nature require sleep, then also require it to be interrupted? Restless, tired animals have a special name in the wild:

FOOD

I have been using a saw palmetto combination supplement for years. Safe and effective, it supports the body's control of DHT. DHT is the stuff that causes prostate issues and has been linked to things like male pattern baldness. The body converts excess testosterone into DHT. It is believed plant sterols like those from saw palmetto inhibit the production of the enzyme that causes that conversion.

This bit of info was lost on the gentleman, because he had his mind made up about supplements. Christmas Eve, a friend was making the same complaint. I gave him a week's supply. On the Tuesday after the holiday, he called me and asked me to get him more. Seems he had slept the night through the last two nights for the first time in years.

It also stands to reason that if your body is not converting Test into DHT, you still have it to use. I wonder why I am seeing TV ads for Low Test drugs these days?

No comments:

Post a Comment