Thursday, January 26, 2012

Sleep, Sleep, Sleep

It seems like I get asked every day, by someone new, about sleep. Frankly, most of them are so stressed about not sleeping, I cannot imagine how they could fall asleep anyway. There are plenty of sleep aid sites on the net, I like this one. It puts me to sleep every time.  That may not help everyone, however.

Many people recommend exercise to help with sleep. This really does work, but do not exercise late in the day. This works best if you can work out early in the day. This is also a great way to stimulate the metabolism to burn more calories throughout the day. Exercise also works to reduce your stress load, which may be impacting your ability to sleep.

In the past, I have also suggested you try ZMA. Again, this has worked well with me. It promotes good restorative sleep. It also does not leave me groggy in the morning after. Be warned, the dreams it promotes are just plain strange.

Most people try melatonin first. I suggest trying about 3 mg to start. You can safely go up from there, but most have success there. Like ZMA, most do not feel groggy the next day. Unlike ZMA, I did not have the dreams. If you do use melatonin, once you have a solid sleep pattern established it is time to back down the dosage. By slowly reducing the amount you use, you will teach your body to produce your needs itself.

Nighty night!

No comments:

Post a Comment