Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Questioned about Gall(bladder)

I have been asked recently to look into help for those with gallstones. I admit this is not an area I have a wealth of knowledge in, it was time to put on my researcher beanie and get to work.

First the basics. The gallbladder is a small organ whose primary function is the excretion of bile during digestion. Bile aids in the breakdown of foods. There, now you are all experts.

I help people with digestive issues all the time. Digestive complaints are one of the areas that the mainstream have accepted supplemental help. We have all seen those TV spots for the lactose free milk. Lactose intolerance in adults is very common and not a lot of fun. When people come to me, one of the things I suggest trying for some digestive complaints are multi-enzyme supplements. Picking the “best” is a shot in the dark because of all the variables involved, so I suggest trying the cheapest available that covers your needs, i.e. if you are lactose intolerant, then be sure it has lactase in it.

However, when someone has had their gallbladder removed, I suggest Digest Gold from Enzymatica. Expensive, but this is where most people have ended up through trial and error anyhow. As there are around 500,000 people who have their gallbladder removed each year, this is not a rare suggestion from me.

But, that does not really answer the question I was asked. If you have pain, see a doctor. If the doctor says gallstones after testing and you do not want the surgery, your options are limited. Conventional wisdom is clear fluids, no fatty foods, and watch your overall cholesterol. I have found little to add, sadly. As bile is produced in the liver, I would suggest a liver cleanse of some kind - it may not be helpful, but is less invasive that surgery. These are the kinds of things that support overall good health, anyhow so they are of little help.

If you do have your gallbladder removed, a digestive enzyme can help you maintain a healthy diet with the verity that you want.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete