Friday, January 20, 2012

Sometimes You Just Get Sick

It could be said I use a considerable amount of supplements to support my health, wellness, and fitness goals. This is a topic my spouse and I discuss on a regular basis. The conversations usually start with me being asked what that new supplement is, and why would I take it? The answer has a direct bearing on the way the rest of the conversation is going to go.

Although I am exposed to hundreds of different people everyday, most of them sick or getting sick, I am generally very healthy. I have not had a bout of cold/flu in years. This streak came to an end last week. When I get sick I can usually pinpoint the factors that broke down my immune system. In this case they include: 1 sick spouse, 7 stress filled days at work, 1 night at the local cigar bar. Hey, I got bad habits too.

So here is the Vita-guru with a sinus cold. My battle was mild and short compared to my spouse's, and I credit that to the supplements I regularly take for my health. I blasted the cold with extra vitamin C, lots extra, and my old standby oil of oreganol from North American Herb and Spice.  My personal experience with this product have made me a staunch proponent. My spouse used both it and the nasal spray from NAHaS as well. She is now a believer, not too happy with the way it felt in application, but a believer.

While we were both recovering, my wife comes to me with a nasal wash tool, similar to a neti pot. The concept of these devices is simple. Shoot saline solution into one side of the nose, and out comes the crap locked in your sinuses through the other side. In the spirit of full disclosure, I believed she was just trying to get even with me for the oreganol nasal spray. This is not my favorite procedure. The EWWWW factor makes me shudder still. With all that said...Shit worked! My sinuses have never felt better, my snoring is well diminished, and I feel pretty good.

Chalk one more up for the spouse's team!

No comments:

Post a Comment