Tuesday, July 10, 2012

In “D” News

The latest in a long line of confusing studies, meta-studies, and other press released articles has come out in favor of Vitamin D. The last spree of info was condemning calcium, if I recall, for bone support. All of this conflicting info brings people to me, looking for my take on what is going on. Mostly, I think, because I tend to be skeptical of anything in the press positive or negative.

The articles are picked up by media outlets to draw interest to their site. Let's face it, they need eyes to get advertising revenue. (hint, hint) I personally believe this is the reason sites are so willing to report meta-studies in the first place. The purpose of a meta-study is to determine where to focus more scientific investigation, not to provide a statement of fact. Meta-studies often show findings that are outside of the accepted community of information. Damned scientists and their need to always want to understand things! The problem comes when the media picks up a study and applies it across the population at large.

So, when I see a news piece like the one above I look at it skeptically to determine why I am seeing it in the first place. Especially this one. Really, vitamin D is good for bones? That is news worthy? Next we will be told that cranberry is good for UTI's. Oh, wait, here is a meta-study for that

What may be kinda cool, is the reminder that vitamin D is a hormone the body produces. One of the things it does involves the production of testosterone in the body. Hmmm. The latest plague attacking society according to the TV advertising I have been abused by is Low T. I wonder if there might be some kinda link between the lack of outdoor activity in the sun, the sunscreen applications that can be measured in pounds, and the this new disaster to humanity. Hmmm.

VG

No comments:

Post a Comment