Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Multiple Choice

People ask me what supplements they should take to support a specific health concern daily. I make a few suggestions and then ask: “What multi are you taking?” I have seen more eye-rolling in a week than I get from talking to my teenager! It is obvious that the person I am talking with does not see any value in taking a daily multi-vitamin/multi-mineral. It is the most underrated supplement I suggest.

Why? The sole purpose of a multi is to fill in the nutritional gaps created by our diet. It does not matter how “perfect” you try to eat, your diet will be lacking due to things not in your control. Things like soil depletion and conventional fertilizers have lowered the nutritional value of our vegetables. Livestock being raise in pens and fed a single food diet have an impact on our meats and dairy. I try to eat a balanced diet, but I know that I am not ever going to be “perfect”.

So, if your diet is not complete, and you're not taking a multi to ensure your body is getting everything it needs daily, it stands to reason that you're going to have health issues. No machine operates without proper fuel. A multi is your safety net, making sure your basics are under control.

When you are trying to select a multi for yourself, try to pick one that best describes who you are. Take a men's or women's multi as a basic suggestion. Pick one designed for diabetics if you have sugar control problems. Over a certain age? That will have an impact on your needs.

Next I try select a multi that is as “close to the vine” as possible, meaning more natural or whole food based. Vitamins and minerals are not by themselves in nature, and the body needs that things they are bound to as well. Many times those flavonoids will help the vitamin's functions in the body.

I also check to make sure the multi is supplying me the correct amounts of any specific nutrient. It does no good to take a multi if the vitamins, minerals, or other supplements in it are not an effective dose. Often this means that my multi is not going to be a “one a day”. I believe the inconvenience is worth it in the long run. After all, a name in the label is not going to do me any good.

No comments:

Post a Comment