Thursday, December 22, 2011

What to Use, What to Use

People who know me often ask what I use before I start my workouts. There only about a bazillion choices in the pre-workout category, so one of them MUST be the best, right? And everyone must get the same response from the each of them. Yep, this is a good question for me.

Everyone is different, with different goals, workout styles, and tolerances. The best way to pick a pre-workout is to turn the bottle around and read the ingredients. I know, I know, if people did that, most of the crap in the grocery store would never sell, and it may mean the end of microwavable foods. It is a risk I am willing to take, Stouffer's be damned!

My tolerance to stimulants is nothing short of heroically scary. Through experimentation, I have found that I do not even feel caffeine short of 700 mg. That is about 7 cups of coffee, closer to 8 Red Bulls, or around 13 Mountain Dew sodas. It has often been noted that I have issues. So, when I am having a low energy day and need a boost to help me in my workout, I look for 13-dimethylamylamine. If the pre-workout has that in the ingredient label, I know I will feel it. It is a fantastic stimulant and can really power you through a great workout. My personal favorite is Jack3d from USP labs.  It is not great for cardio workouts, however. It can over amp my heart rate and cut my speed dramatically.

In general I do not need the extra energy from stimulants. That makes my choice of pre-workout much easier. I much prefer a supplement that improves focus and concentration. I have found that for almost every workout I have, PreSurge Unleashed is my go to formula. Most people will get a solid energy pick-up from this formula. What I love about it is the increase in focus the L-theanine provides. I am able to get neat, clean, full reps in each set, or cut minutes off my mile pace. If you are serious about your workout, I suggest you give PreSurge a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment