Wednesday, December 28, 2011

New Year Resolutions

Well, here it comes. The annual promises that people make to themselves to “get in shape”, “get healthy”, or “lose weight”. These all last until they realize how difficult changing your lifestyle can be. Some even make it as far as getting to the shock of finding out that it takes a long time to change themselves.

I have said in the past that vague goals will do you no good. Look around you and pick something fun that you would like to do, then train to do it. That is what worked for me, in the beginning. Six years ago, I decided to become a MSBiker These events are all over the country and happen most of the year. You do not need an expensive bike to take part, I have never used anything better than a used 30 year old ten speed. It is not a race, so you do not have to ride like Lance. There are rest stops every 8 to 10 miles, which means about 45 minutes of biking. When you pull into the stops, the volunteers there treat you like you are a rock star, which is very energizing. And when you are done, you have raised money for some of the members of your community that could really use it. Throughout the year, I help hundreds of people feel better and get healthy. I tell anyone who asks that the MS Ride is the most rewarding thing I do every year!

That started me down the path to better health. As you are making your resolutions, if you need help picking a goal, I can not think of a better way to start.

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment