Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Krill Oil for Non-Belugas

“Which is better: krill or fish oil?” This is a question that I have faced almost daily for the better part of two years. When Dr. Oz gave his endorsement, it did not make my life any easier. I have asked the very same question to the people who produce the products we are deciding between.

My first warning about krill oil came 18 months ago when I asked 3 respected producers why I should take krill oil instead of the high quality fish oil supplement I had been using. Everything I had read up till then had indicated that I wanted to take between 1.5 and 2 grams of EPA and DHA per day. To achieve that in krill would require baleen http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baleen . I might be overestimating. My best received response was about the superior absorption of krill. The most common response was a condescending smile, and friendly pity. I guess I have that kinda face.

Well, two years later, I feel confident when people ask me that question. Krill is an outstanding source of astaxanthin, an outstanding antioxidant that I place a very high value on. http://www.naturalnews.com/astaxanthin.html For the omega 3 fatty acids, however, it is just not a practical source. Even it's better absorption does not over come its low amounts per dose of EPA and DHA. When you couple that to the fact that only 1 ship, not company but ship, has been certified as sustainably harvesting the krill, my decision is clear.

I do not take krill because it has the potential to do more harm to the environment than benefit to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment